Town of Bell
Harbor Commission Meeting
Monday, June 29, 2020
The meeting was called to order at 6:50 p.m.. Members present were Chuck Perry, Jesse Kaseno, Pauline Colamatteo, Jessica Resac, Will Tillmans, David Tillmans and MaryBeth Tillmans. Mark Halvorson was absent. Roger Lindgren, Town of Bell Chairman and Andrew Sauter Sargent Town of Bell Supervisor were also present.
Minutes – A motion was made by P. Colamatteo to approve the minutes of the last meeting and D. Tillmans 2nd the motion. Unanimous decision. Approved.
Conflict of interest – None
Public Comments – None
Public Hearing – None
– Harbor Dredging Committee – The Army Corp of Engineers are back in the office in Duluth. The Detroit office is still working from home. They have money in their budget for the Cornucopia harbor dredging, but they need more in order to contract dredging. They expect to get more money, because of the CARES Act. Corp surveying will be done later in the season.
– Shop Grade Issues Committee – Lake water levels are down, so the water issues at the shops are not as critical. Possible fill may be used to fill low areas. The necessity of a permit is being researched by Mazanita Peterson.
– Harbor map/jurisdiction – The Town of Bell Parks and Lands Committee asked the Harbor Commission to take responsibility of the Green Shed building by the waterfront. J. Kaseno made a motion to take responsibility for the Green Shed and D. Tillmans 2nd the motion. Discussion was held. Vote: (3-0) Yes- P. Colamatteo, D. Tillmans and W. Tillmans. Abstained-J. Kaseno and J. Resac. Motion passed.
– Improvements list (to incorporate into 10 year plan) – C. Perry asked commission members to come up with a list of possible improvements to incorporate into a ten year plan. Items for the list are:
– Walkways – Areas need leveling and some materials need to be purchased
– Replacement of burnt out lights
– Breakwater Access-Connect to cement walkway on west end of deep slip
– Planking on South wall- Repair loose plank
– Steel metal – 10 year plan
– Inner end of Jetty Path – Repair with fill
– Deep Slip south side decking – Needs to be jacked up
– Western Pier from Boat Ramp – Needs water
– Boat Ramp- Needs repair – drop off
– Pay Showers
– Fire Fighting/ Prevention Equipment – 10 Year plan
– Items need be thought of for a 10 year plan for the Green Shed. The commission will meet at the Shed to review its condition for items that need repair now and for the 10 year plan.
– Ten Year Plan – The improvement list will be made up and prioritized. Estimates will be needed for some of the projects. A plan will be drawn up.
– Shop Lease Review – All shop lease payments are up to date, except for a small balance from Manzanita Peterson.
– Breakwater access – This will be on the ten year plan. A possible boardwalk from the Halvorson walkway to the break wall was discussed. An estimate will be needed.
– Ordinance Review – The ordinances pertaining to the marina need to be reviewed. Recommendation of changes will be given to the town board.
– Entry way light update – C. Perry made a torpedo light that is directed down the harbor entry. It is made out of PVC with a 40 yellow light bulb.
– Financial Statements – P. Colamatteo made a motion to approve the reports and J. Kaseno 2nd the motion. Approved. Unanimous decision.
– Slip Lease Returns Review – Twelve slips are still open.
– Communications – Letters were received from M. Peterson about how water under shops can be improved.
The next meeting date was set for Monday, August 3, 2020 at 6:30 p.m.
At 8:40 p.m., J. Kaseno made a motion to adjourn and J. Resac 2nd the motion. Approved.
MaryBeth Tillmans – Secretary