(Minutes to be approved at the next board meeting)
TOWN OF BELL
Tuesday, June 8, 2021
following the Board of Review
The meeting was called to order at 7:05 p.m. Board members present were Roger Lindgren,
James Kaseno, Andrew Sauter Sargent, Allen Hahn, Jackie Eid, MaryBeth Tillmans and Janice Olson.
-Board Meeting Minutes-
Board Meeting -A. Hahn made a motion to approve the minutes and J. Eid 2nd the
motion. Unanimous. Approved.
-Treasurer’s Report –A. Sauter Sargent made a motion to approve the report and J. Kaseno 2nd
the motion. Vote (3-1) Yes-, A. Sauter Sargent J. Eid & J. Kaseno. No- Allen Hahn.
- Lindgren abstained.
- Eid – She received a comment about the congestion on Superior Ave, by Cedar St.
It was suggested to make Cedar St. a one way for the summer.
- She reminded people to have their dogs on leashes and to clean up after them.
- Nancy Moye praised and thanked the ladies for their efforts with the plant sale and town gardens.
- She has the guidelines for the placement of temporary signs from the Wis. DOT.
- Cornucopia Farmers Market – It will start Thursday, June 24th 4pm 6pm at the
Cornucopia Coffee & Sweet Shop.
- Siskiwit Falls – A portion of the old orchard is being cleared and opened up.
Public Comment Period – None
- BIG, RBF Award, HAP Grant Award -update – Roger Lindgren
Additional funds have been requested for the BIG and RBF grants. The costs on the
projects have escalated. The cost of sheet steel has more than doubled. A coating is
required on the sheet steel and the cost of wood has gone up. HAP is delaying the
project until steel prices are down.
- Campground Ordinance – Request Approval
Verbiage on the ordinance is being changed. A. Sauter Sargent made a motion to approve
the amended ordinance and J. Eid 2nd the motion. Discussion was held. Vote (4-1)
Yes: R. Lindgren, A. Sauter Sargent, J. Eid & J. Kaseno. No: A. Hahn. Approved.
- Bank fee comparison and possible decision
- Olson provided account information from Bremer Bank, Security State Bank,
Northern State Bank and Chippewa Valley. Discussion was held. A. Hahn made a motion
to have banking business with Iron River Security State Bank and R. Lindgren 2nd the
motion. Vote(1-3)-Yes: A. Hahn No: J. Kaseno, A. Sauter Sargent & J. Eid. J. Olson and
- Tillmans will discuss with banks accounts services available. This item will be on next
- Planning Commission issues:
Class A Special Use permit requests:
a. Stoneman: short term rental – The Planning Commission voted unanimously for
approval. J. Eid made a motion to recommend approval to the county and J. Kaseno
2nd the motion. Unanimous decision. Approved.
b. Hoffman: short term rental– The Planning Commission voted unanimously for
approval. J. Kaseno made a motion to recommend approval to the county and
Hahn 2nd the motion. Unanimous decision. Approved.
c. Wyn Mass-Protzen: short term rental– The Planning Commission tabled approval
pending more information. J. Eid made a motion to table recommendation to the
county until more information is received and J. Kaseno 2nd the motion. Unanimous
Curland & Pansch: Want to build an unplumbed cabin. The Planning Commission voted
unanimously for approval. J. Kaseno made a motion to recommend approval to the
county and A. Hahn 2nd the motion. Unanimous decision. Approved.
- Liquor Licenses Approvals
Halvorson’s – new
Fat Radish – renew
Lil’Nikki’s – renew
Ehlers Store – renew
Star North – renew
Cornucopia Sweet Shop- renew
Siskowit Farmhouse – renew
- Kaseno made a motion to approve the Halvorson new and renewal liquor licenses
and A. Sauter Sargent 2nd the motion. Unanimous decision. Approved.
- Sauter Sargent made a motion renew all renewal applications and J. Kaseno 2nd
the motion. Unanimous decision. Approved.
- Swear in Planning Commissioners
Mark Ehlers was sworn in as a Planning Commissioner.
- Take-aways, Opportunities from recent WisTowns Mtg – Allen
A report was given by A. Hahn.
- Greg Weiss request for special use permit.
He is requesting a special use permit for a kayak symposium with camping at the
lakefront for Sept. 10, 11 & 12. A. Sauter Sargent made a motion to approve a special
use permit for Greg Weis for the kayak symposium and J. Eid 2nd the motion. Discussion
was held. A. Sauter Sargent rescinded his motion. A. Sauter Sargent made a motion
to recommend that Greg Weiss obtain a camping permit from Bayfield County and
an agreement with the Town of Bell. J. Eid 2nd the motion. Vote (1-4): Yes -R. Lindgren
No-A. Sauter Sargent, J. Kaseno, A. Hahn and J. Eid. Motion failed. G. Weiss will be
asked for a written plan.
- Monthly review of Community Center COVID restrictions
The restrictions will be updated to the Bayfield Co. Health recommendations.
Masks will be necessary if not vaccinated. If an individual feels vulnerable,
they should wear a mask.
- Fire Department Ordinance – attached for review and discussion
The ordinance was reviewed. A. Hahn made a motion to approve as written. It
is missing an enforcement and comments. This was tabled to next month.
- Board Calendar
Board members were asked to fill in the calendar with dates of requirements for meeting
items, deadlines for grants or any other reoccurring required dates of town items.
- Review bids for CaCl flake, request approval of purchase – Matt
- Kaseno made a motion to accept the quote from Hydrite Chemical and J. Eid 2nd
the motion. Unanimous decision. Approved.
Bills were paid. At 9:15 p.m., J. Eid made a motion to adjourn the meeting and A. Sauter Sargent 2nd the motion. Approved.
MaryBeth Tillmans – Clerk