September 3, 2021 10 am @ Community Center
Present: J. Kerr, A. Hahn, A. Sauter-Sargent, G. Emily, G. Anderson, D. Becker, J. Becker
Sauter-Sargent called the meeting to order at 10:05 am.
Minutes of the last meeting were corrected: grant for the vault toilets at Siskiwit Falls Preserve and Lost Creek Falls was given by the ARPA, not the DNR; approved.
- Commercial use of Public Lands
- Hahn reported on focus group recommendations concerning the inclusion of a Commercial Vendor ordinance to be modified from current Town Transient Vendor Ordinance or Washburn’s Ordinance; much discussion. A. Hahn will research and report recommendations at the October meeting.
- Dog Ordinance
- Original 1977 Dog Ordinance is vague about leashing and waste cleanup.
- Anderson will order signs about keeping dogs on leashes and clean up after your pet once A. Hahn determines how many are needed; D. Becker offered to place signs.
- Committee recommended a DogiPot dispenser and sign be added to the Siskiwit Lake Boat Launch.
- Siskiwit Lake Campground Swim Platform
- Liability Insurance will increase for the Town; committee recommends not having one installed.
- Vault Toilets at Siskiwit Lake Campground
- Becker requested quotes from Dahl Construction and Dykstra Construction; none available by meeting date.
- Town Chairman, R. Lindgren, received a quote from GOTO Huffcutt via Jen Bratsch of Bayfield Co. Forestry and Parks of a single stall building with urinal at $16,125. This does not include: site prep, excavation, sand/pad fill and backfilling.
- Becker reported that State ordinances for Public Campgrounds require 2 stalls per sex (but a stall and a urinal in the men’s is ok).
- Much discussion. Committee will request Town to fund the building of the vault toilet in 2022. (see Budget agenda line)
- Town of Bell Budget
- Pending construction quote amounts requested, Committee will request $20,000 to $28,000 (with Town doing the site prep) for a 4 stall vault toilet at the Campground in 2022.
- Increase Parks and Lands maintenance budget by 10% for 2022 improvements.
- All other requests for budget considerations must be submitted to A. Sauter-Sargent before October 1, 2021, Parks and Lands meeting
- Becker will ask Town Treasurer to attend the October meeting to discuss better budget reports for Committee.
- Siskiwit Lake Boat Launch & Parking
- Emily will measure area and report at the October meeting.
- Sauter-Sargent will order the 3 parking signs discussed at September meeting.
- Superior Ave. Beach and Rope
- Rope is ready to be installed once the Town Crew places the posts.
- Rope is in the back shed of the Green Shed.
- Beach Park Swing Chain was repaired.
- Kerr will request Town crew to remove campground tree stumps.
- Emily reported:
- Traffic, noise and trespassing concerns by local residents.
- Erosion from watercraft launching at campground. A. Sauter-Sargent will order a “No Launching of Watercraft” sign for posting.
- Modification recommendation of the campground for increase day usage as per Harold Ehlers original land donation designation by eliminating sites 1, 2, 3. Much discussion. Members suggested instigating day use fees and raising camping fees to replace campsite revenue loss.
Meeting was adjourned at 11:53 am.
Next meeting: Friday, October 1, 2021 @ 10 am @ Siskiwit Lake Campground
Submitted by J. Becker, Acting Secretary 09-03-21