TOWN OF BELL BOARD MEETING
Tuesday, April 19, 2022
at the Community Center
following the Annual Meeting
The meeting was called to order at 9:10 p.m. Board members present were Roger Lindgren,
James Kaseno, Allen Hahn, Gordon Anderson, Jackie Eid, MaryBeth Tillmans and Janice Olson. The meeting was available with Zoom.
-Board Meeting Minutes-
- Hahn made a motion to approve the minutes and J. Eid 2nd the motion.
Unanimous decision. Approved.
-Treasurer’s Report –J. Eid made a motion to approve the report and J. Kaseno 2nd
the motion. Vote (4-1) Yes- R. Lindgren, J. Kaseno, J. Eid & G. Anderson. No- A. Hahn.
- Lindgren – He welcomed G. Anderson to the town board.
Correspondence– – Reviewed
. Sant. District – They are continuing with their noncompliance of phosphorus influents.
They have signed a contract with Cooper Engineering. They will determine the
amounts of chemicals needed to reduce the phosphorus levels. The cost
estimate is $40,000.00.
Public Comment Period – None
- Senior Dining Update
Senior meals are served at the Town of Bell Community Center on Tuesdays at
11:00 a.m.. Reservations must be made by 9:00a.m. the day before.
- Housing Location Inquiry
The Planning Commission is following up on this. They need to come up with
- Gravel Bid awarded to Trusty Trucking & South Shore Sand and Gravel
The gravel bid was awarded to them at a special meeting on April 5, 2022.
- Bipartisan Infrastructure Law STP Local 2022 submittal and future plans
- Lindgren reviewed the five year plan of projects to improve the roads with federal
- Support of Natl Scenic Byway Visitor Center
Eight thousand dollars is needed for engineering of the Scenic Byway Visitor Center,
to develop a plan. J. Eid made a motion to give $1000.00 in support of the National
Scenic Byway Visitor Center to come up with a plan. J. Kaseno 2nd the motion.
- Eid made a motion to authorize R. Lindgren to proceed with the engineering and
to sign a contract. J. Kaseno 2nd the motion. Unanimous decision. Approved.
- CaCl program -$40/200’ if requested by homeowner
The Town of Bell will be offering Calcium Chloride to property owners at $40 per 200’
- Siskiwit Lake Campground Ordinance – All updates had already been approved.
- Appoint Harbor Commissioners – This was deferred until May
- Request Nominations for Planning Commission
This will be posted. Nominations are due by May 18th.
- Commissioner Terms, Posting for Nominations, Appointment/Reappointment policy
The terms and record of terms and policy has been recorded and are on file.
- Permit & Variance Application information
This was completed at last month’s board meeting.
- Star North – PSC refueling grant – update
The new perspective owner is dealing with this to obtain the grant.
- Star North Liquor License
- Kaseno made a motion to approve the Class A Liquor, Class A Beer and
cigarette licenses for Star North and G. Anderson 2nd the motion. Unanimous
- Tkach: Class A Special Use short term rental
The Planning Commission recommended approval of the permit. G. Anderson
made a motion to approve the license and J. Eid 2nd the motion. Discussion
was held. Vote (3-2) Yes: R. Lindgren, J. Eid & G. Anderson. No: A. Hahn.
Abstained: J. Kaseno. Approved. Discussion was held about requiring a certain
number of days of stay. A resolution will be reviewed next month to control the
future of short term rentals with an ordinance.
- TOB join CBA – be a part of the “Chamber of Commerce
- Kaseno made a motion to rejoin the CBA and G. Anderson 2nd the motion.
Unanimous decision. Approved.
- Create hiking /cc skiing trail by Airport. Name trail
- Hahn made a motion authorizing the Parks and Lands committee to develop
a plan for a trail by the airport and a protocol for the naming of the hiking/sking
trail. G. Anderson 2nd the motion. Unanimous decision. Approved.
- Lost Creek Adventures Kayaking Event September 15-18
- Hahn made a motion to approve the event without camping at the lakefront.
- Kaseno 2nd the motion. Unanimous decision. Approved. Greg Weiss will work
with the Parks & Lands committee for a plan for the event, along with parking.
- Community Center Security
Kurt Nelson, who has worked with building security made the following
recommendations for the Community Center:
- Front door open 24/7, not all other
- Only so many keys for offices and a list is kept
- Lindgren and Judy Kerr will work with recommendations.
- Vilas County – Protest Levey Limits
- Eid will review the Vilas County resolution and it will be reviewed at the next board meeting.
- Earth Day April 22nd
The Cornucopia Club volunteered to coordinate the around town clean up and the
- Proposed water sampling at Siskiwit Beach Well.
- Hahn made a motion to have the full panel of tests performed on the flowing
well at the Siskiwit beach well. J. Eid 2nd the motion. Unanimous decision. Approved.
- Changes in BART
BART has included in their services a door to door pickup anywhere in the county
and the city of Ashland.
At 10:55 p.m., A. Hahn made a motion to adjourn the meeting and J. Eid 2nd the motion. Approved.
MaryBeth Tillmans – Clerk